Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I Need for Ash Wednesday

It's amazing how much I can simultaneously look forward to and dread something.  Like Lent.  Every year it comes around, and I drag my feet and I can't wait all at the same time.  It's kind of like working out. I know it's not necessarily going to be fun, and even if it is fun, it'll be hard, but it is the challenge that makes it worth it.

I usually like to give up something that is taking up my time, and some sort of food. I like to give up some things that I feel like I "need".  I am nuts about sweets, and I think at times that I "need" sweets. Or I think that I "need" TV (to be honest, I'm not sure I'll totally give that up, but I am going to cut back).  I like that giving them up reminds me that I don't actually need them.  I am a huge fan of fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday as well.  After all, I intellectually know that I don't need sweets or TV, but food is a necessity.  I like that the hunger for one day reminds us that it is not by bread alone that we live, but that there is something in our lives that we need even more than we need food.

I need Him.

I love that Lent gives us that time to empty ourselves of other things so that we have room for Him.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts for Lent. It's one of my favorite seasons in the Church. Someone was talking at work today about how they couldn't stand the regulations of the Church, and now, they're Lutheran. I actually replied to that person something of the sentiment that you did. It's a challenge, but it's revitalizing at the same time. It also makes Easter Sunday that much more profound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome reflection! Prayers for a blessed Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love that Lent gives us that time to empty ourselves of other things so that we have room for Him."
    BEAUTIFUL statement! Praying for a wonderful Lent for you!

    ReplyDelete