Monday, February 20, 2012

Lent

I'm seeing Lent all over the place today, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents as well.  I don't know how everyone else celebrates Lent, but I find that I do best with things that I don't allow myself any wiggle room.  I like to give something up, something that makes me be a little less indulgent and more disciplined.  Not because what I'm giving up is bad, but because it is an emptying that allows more room for Christ in my life.  Those that know me know that I can't let myself get too hungry (I think my blood sugar drops, though I've never tested it, but it's not pretty when it happens), but if I skip some snacks and get a little hungry, it's a good reminder that we don't live by bread alone.

I know I'm a broken record, but I highly recommend that if you want to add something, add honoring the Lord's Day.  Most people are absolutely convinced that they are far too busy to do such a thing, but it is actually a commandment.  Seriously, do you think God would give you a commandment that would make your life worse? Typically, keeping Sunday holy would include things like not doing heavy physical work on Sunday, going to church, spending time with family and friends, relaxing, avoiding shopping or errands (remember that if you shop someone else is unable to honor Sunday because they have to be there for you). Because you can't run yourself crazy doing all those things, you may have a little more time to do some extra reading or devotions.

I love my Sundays.  It adds balance to my whole week, and I am so much more organized and able to get things done.  While it is a day set apart for Him, it is a day that I need.  I go to church, I usually try to call my family, if I do physical activity, it's usually an easy walk rather than something difficult, it's a good day to hang out with friends.  It is a day we need. After all, man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath was made for man.

How is everyone else getting ready for Lent?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you saw this, but I posted my, er, post, over here: http://thealluringworld.blogspot.com/2012/02/lent-link-up.html

    I think you made a good point--it's fine to give things up but ONLY if you allow the extra time/energy/space to be filled with Christ. If you're giving up, say, chocolate, every time you have a craving, go read the Bible or pray. That kind of thing...so many people give up something but don't do the other part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of shopping. I remember when I was young, my parents told me to not shop, work, etc. on Sunday, but I've laxed in that habit. Thanks for the reminder to be home and spend time with my hubby ... enjoying him and enjoying GOD!!!
    Yes ... I can't believe there are those that don't go to Mass on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete