Friday, February 24, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 163)

1) Wow! Not sure about Lent so far.  I seem to be struggling a little to get it going this year. Either this is a bad sign, or if it will just get better as I get used to it again.  I definitely need it!

2) I know that there are people that give up types of food for Lent because they want to lose some weight over the 40 days.  I know that there are people that don't give up certain kinds of food because they don't want Lent to be about vanity, but about growing closer to God.  Me? I'm somewhere in the middle.  I like to give up certain foods because I think that it helps me to really get into the spirit of the season.  Unfortunately, I'm a little unholy in my glee when a couple of winter pounds come off.  I still think it's good to give up food, but there's a ways to go toward working toward a pure intention to go along with it!

3) I have written so many posts since I got my internet back.  Then I've reworked them.  Then I've deleted them.  I don't know what my deal is, but I just can't seem to get my thoughts to come out the way that I want them to.

4) Going to try some more skiing again tomorrow.  I'm kind of not looking forward to it.  I have a lot to do to get my stuff together, and what I'm really dreading is the boots that I have to use. I don't like bruised ankles, and these boots like to do that to me. I guess I should offer it up, eh?  I told you, I'm not doing Lent so well right now.

5) I have tried before to get plain yogurt to put in baking, and I failed.  I can't eat plain yogurt, even in baked goods.  However, I decided to try plain greek yogurt with a little fresh fruit.  I actually really like it! And I'm excited about not eating sugary fruit gel with my yogurt (even though I like said gel; I just think the fresh fruit is probably healthier).

6) Speaking of food, I'm actually cooking tonight!  I've been so busy that I haven't done that in a while, but let me tell you, cooking is way better than the other alternatives (mostly frozen food for me).  I kept sticking my head in the vegetable pot because it smelled so good (in case my oh-so-literal sisters read this, not actually in the pot)... And that was with only the vegetables.  Oh, and the peanuts.  It's a Thai type dish.  Someone asked me if I was going to use chicken or shrimp.  Those sound good too (especially the shrimp), but I went with tempeh.  I run from tofu, but I like tempeh.

7) I'm out of things to say and I want to get this published before I get distracted by something else, so here's your 7th quick take:

My view from last weekend

Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!

6 comments:

  1. I dislike plain yogurt, too, but I find I can manage the Greek kind, too. Also, the full-fat kind (hard to find) is much better than what is widely stocked at least in my grocery stores.

    I feel the same way about food and Lent. I heard someone once comment on how they are no longer giving up sweets becasue that was like using Lent as some diving diet. Well, I can't say that I giving up on desserts/chocolate is more about breaking a dependency. By this time in the year I find I'm mindlessly soothing my soul with chocolate and doughnuts. Lent is a time to break that dependency. Sometimes that means a few pounds come off, but sometimes not. Maybe I should have given up on sweets AND weighing myself? Vanity is so tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the skiing, and finding your groove this Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same issues with Lent this year - I'm just trying to trust that if I don't get with it on my own, the Holy Spirit will give me a nice whack on the head.

    I'm not doing any specific giving up (hmmm, maybe that is my problem) just trying to be aware of what I eat and do, be intentional about life instead of "oh, well, this is what I always do in the evening, so I'm just going to do it without even thinking about it."

    Love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thai dish sounds delicious! And I am envious of your snow. ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful view! That's got to be amazing to see in person.

    ReplyDelete