Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Last Minute New Year's Plan

I wasn't going to do any resolutions this year.  I have some goals, like hiking a couple of 14'ers, but I'm just not in the resolution mood right now. Like Rebecca, I'm neither particularly happy about 2011 being done, nor particularly excited about 2012. I don't mean that in a bad way.  I really like that 2011 gave me snowshoeing and rock climbing, but it also gave me a lot of struggles in the faith and singleness department.  In the end, I don't hate those struggles, because I think I'm better for them, but neither do I need to hold onto 2011.

As for 2012, who knows?  It's hard to get excited that "this could be the year" that I finally meet someone.  I mean, it could happen, but I've thought that for the last 8 or more years, so it's hard to get that excited about it again (though, for those of you praying that it will happen soon, thank you! I love those prayers, and it means a lot to me). I have some job concerns, so it'll be interesting to see where that situation is in a year. Right now, I don't really care about the whole year.  I am excited that I have today and tomorrow off.  I'm excited that I get to give my talk on the Mass on Tuesday. I start my back country skiing class this week.  That's really all the farther I'm looking right now.

However, I did want to say that I did end up with a year long plan.  I was talking to my brother on Christmas, and he shocked and delighted me by saying that he's been reading his Bible more for the last several months and he is clearly getting much more active and excited in his faith.  However, it also made me realize that I haven't devoted much time to reading the Bible recently.  I immediately thought that I should start again, maybe find a Bible in a year plan or something, but then I let the idea slide to the side.

Until a couple of days ago, when a wonderful friend of mine (seriously, she's awesome- if you knew her, you'd love her a creepy amount, just like I do!) sends me an email out of the blue asking me if I'd like to do the Bible in a year with her.  Umm, yes, please!

Sadly, it's hard to find a good reading plan for the Catholic Bible.  You can easily find a simple beginning to end plan, and there are a few other ones, but not near as many as you can find for Protestant Bibles.  Anyway, one plan I found was the chronological reading of the Bible.  I really want to read the Bible that way.  So, for example, when you're reading about the events of David's life, you read the Psalms that he probably composed about those events.  Another example is that the readings from the prophets are interspersed with the historical books from the time that the prophet lived.

However, the plan I found did not include all the books of the Catholic Bible.  Therefore, I tweaked the plan a little bit, and added them in around the appropriate places in the timeline. My additions are not quite as well studied out as theirs, but they should be close enough to get the picture. Anyway, if anyone's interested, I'll be posting that plan by week over here. The week by week breakdown will be on the sidebar.

I hope everyone is having a safe and fun New Year's!

9 comments:

  1. I did a chronological reading of the Bible one year, and it was incredible! Just like you said...you read about David's life and then the Psalms he wrote as a result of those life events just come alive. It takes dedicated time and effort to make it all the way through in a year, but I'm praying you are able to do it and are richly blessed in your faith life as a result! You'll have to post some of your learnings/observations/reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! I would love to see how it all works, but I will probably do so in a sporadic way. I am trying hard to make simple changes I know I can do, and not to put on extra pressure. I will definitely follow your journey and see how the reading goes!

    What I have been doing is reading and praying on the 1st reading, psalm, 2nd reading and gospel for the Sunday masses. It takes me a week to get through just that.

    Wishing you a blessed 2012 ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I got your Week 1 plan and I am going to at least start with you. :) I have been wanting to read the entire Bible for years and have never gotten my butt in gear to find a good plan for it. Yours sounds as good as any...so I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad Michelle linked to this post! When I get back I'll start and catch up!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to give the bible in a year a shot- looking forward to it! Thanks so much for doing it! Glad you made it safely back home- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year CM!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I've never even put much thought into reading and studying the Bible...

    But, you've definitely inspired me and have helped to motivate me!

    Happy New Years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Received a new study bible for Christmas ~ I'm in!
    Thanks for leading the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking about joining you for this! I've always wanted to do it, but it always seemed so overwhelming. I will have to do some major catch up this weekend, but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living in the present is the sometimes the best way to not freak out about the future (I do that too!). Good for you for enjoying your days off ... and the here and now. :-)

    ReplyDelete