Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup

It is the season for soup!  We've had some cold and snow in the last few days, so I pulled out some soup recipes.  One of my favorites is not the most healthy soup ever, but it is fantastic.  If you don't like spicy, leave the peppers out. I always take a recipe and substitute for my own taste, but I'll give it to you as I got it:

1-1/2 cups water
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (I actually like it better with the peel left on)
2 small carrots, grated
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I like a little more than it calls for)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (Use plastic gloves! Also, I like it spicy, so I let some of the seeds make it in)
1 garlic clove, minced (Or two. Or three.  Just saying.)
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
2-1/2 cups milk, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 ounces process American cheese, cubed (I always use cheddar, because pasteurized processed cheese product? Gross!)
1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled

In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Stir in beef and two cups of milk; heat through. Combine the flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add cayenne if desired. Top with bacon just before serving.

6-8 servings

A few little notes on my own modifications.  Last time I made it, I was careful to follow the above proportions, but I didn't like it quite as well.  I usually have about 3 cups of potatoes or a little more (about 2 medium potatoes), about 4 carrots (but I don't really know for sure because I buy the carrots that are already grated; I don't have a food processor and I hate grating carrots), and at least 1/2 cup chopped green pepper.  The rest of the ingredients stay the same; I just add enough water to cover the vegetables. I take that back, I also cut back the amount of bacon a little bit.  I love bacon, but it seems to get a pretty good bacon flavor from 3-4 strips of bacon.  If you like really meaty soup, keep the proportions as the recipe calls for.  I like meat, but the way the recipe makes it is about half meat, and I don't like quite that much meat in soup.  I never worry about having a big batch, because it freezes well.

Anyone else have any favorite winter soup recipes?

5 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds GOOD! My favorite winter soup is homemade chili ... of course there are a thousand ways to make it, but I like mine mild, not spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I'm writing down this recipe and planning to make it soon. We just bought some really good ground beef...perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soup! One of my favourites I can 'magic soup' because it is so easy. To get the full effect you may need a food processor though!

    1. Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
    2. Season with turmeric and pepper (turmeric is really good for you but strong, so you don't want to put in too much - maybe start with a quarter tsp? I really like it so I put in more). You may want to add salt or other of your favourite spices.
    3. Add in the veggie you want to use for your soup - cauliflower or broccoli are favourites for me
    4. Add enough stock to cover (I put in water and then add however many scoops of veggie stock that is needed).
    5. cook until the veggies are soft.
    6. Then the magic part - blend it up in a blender or food processor and it is creamy and delicious - like a cream soup - and so tasty!

    There is a great song by Hawksley Workman called 'almost a full moon' - it starts 'let's make some soup 'cause the weather is getting cold ...'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious!! I will definitely have to try it out this winter. Yum!

    ReplyDelete