Friday, November 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

--- 1 ---
Sorry to open this up with a whine, but I'm not a fan of the time change! I hate that when it feels like I should be home putting my feet up, I still have more patients to see. I hate that it's pitch black so early in the day. Forty-one days until December 21st, and then it will start to get better.
--- 2 ---
I still hate moving, and I still did my own packing, but I hired a moving company to get my stuff from the old place to the new place. Worth. Every. Penny. It was awesome! Granted that I don't have tons of stuff, but these guys showed up at one place at about 9:20, and the truck was unloaded and they were pulling out of my new place at 11:45. They would have been done at 11:30 if they hadn't taken a little break. Believe me, they deserved it! They jogged while they were loading and unloading. There were boxes that I didn't really want to try to lift; they lifted 2 of them at a time. I loved watching my furniture walk in without me having to try to lug it. I would say that I didn't have to lift a finger, but that would be a lie. I had to point where to put stuff. 
--- 3 ---
Despite the awesomeness of the movers, I still was exhausted by the end of the moving day. I still had to clean the old apartment, and I was a little obsessed by getting everything settled. Before I went to bed, all the boxes were cleared from my living room, bedroom and kitchen. The spare room was still a disaster, but at least the main living area was good. I should have paced myself better, but by Saturday I just had a couple hours in the spare room, and now it's all done but hanging the pictures. I've hung a couple of things, but I'm giving myself a little times to see where things will fit before I start pounding holes.
--- 4 ---
I love my new little place! I love that I don't listen to my neighbors walking above me, or slamming doors, or arguing. I love love love the fact that I don't ever smell cigarette smoke! And I love that it has all the charming quirks of being an older place with all the conveniences of being well updated. I don't really mind that some of the closets are small, or that you have to be careful how you open certain doors so that you have room to get around them. It's a cottage. It all belongs as part of its character. (That or I'm just overly excited from the unpolluted oxygen I'm breathing!)
--- 5 ---
The kitchen is very small compared to a normal house, but it's large compared to apartment kitchens, and especially my last small, dark kitchen! In fact, it's so much nicer that I was inspired to cook over the weekend. I made African Ground Nut Stew (ground nuts= peanuts) and I made my Grandma's pumpkin bread. Yum! I love almost anything with pumpkin. My Grandma's recipe has way too much sugar in it (3 cups for two loaves!), so I decided to cut the sugar in half and use a cup of unsweetened applesauce. SO good. Moist, and still plenty sweet without being too sweet. Healthier, right? Yeah, not when you eat as much of it as I did!
P.S.- I knew I had too many potatoes for the stew, but I couldn't figure out why, because I had measured it out and everything.  I was back in the store to day and had an epiphany... I'd measured out my potatoes in kg, not pounds! No doubt the next batch will taste even better!
--- 6 ---
The holidays as a single person are a little weird, but I'm looking forward to the weirdness this year. You see, everyone is SO busy that they cut back on some of the normal meetings and get togethers that they would usually have. But as a single person, you're not really that busy. I don't have tons of Christmas shopping to do. I may have a Christmas party or two, but not many. Holiday get togethers are easy, you just go home. I'm really busy for the next couple of weeks, but if I make it through to Thanksgiving, it'll be pretty quiet after that. 
--- 7 ---
Have a great weekend!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

8 comments:

  1. That is so great that you have moved into your new place....congrats for staying motivated and getting the boxes unpacked. Enjoy! My best friend is single and I often think of her doing the holiday season. Thanks for reminding me to say a few extra prayers for her and to include her in more activities that involve just me and her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, hiring movers is worth every penny it costs. We had 2 guys hired to help us and between them and my husband they got pretty much everything loaded and unloaded in 2 hours and that was with 3 trips to the house and a weird flight of stairs to work around.

    So glad to hear you like your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about #1. I hate leaving work in the dark! So glad your move went so well and that your new place is so fantastic. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so depressing that it gets dark so early. I totally agree!
    I'm glad that your move went well. It sounds like your new place is working out so well ... and that makes me so happy for you! Your home should make you happy and be your refuge ... and I hope it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is never fun, regardless of how many helpers you have. I can't believe that you unpacked everything and got rid of boxes in all but the spare bedroom. My husband and I have lived in our apartment for 7 years and we're not that settled and organized. Major kudos to you for kicking your domestic diva self into high gear! I've seen the "Martha Stewart doesn't live here" signs and things, but I dont' think Martha Stewart could even be paid to visit at this point. Ah well, God is present in your new dwelling and smiling that you're grateful for the small things-like not hearing the neighbors yelling or smelling smoke.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the moving went well! The last time we moved, we did it ourselves. Not nearly as easy as having someone move your stuff for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear that you're happily moved into your new place! I love holiday baking, too, and as far as the "not that busy," girl, I would so take you on a holiday girl's weekend! You know, to shop for...haha, ourselves! Cheers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having professional movers sounds AWESOME! So glad you're settling into your lovely smoke-free home!!

    ReplyDelete