Monday, October 17, 2011

When the Novena "Doesn't Work"

I have come to the point that I really like novenas.*  I didn't like them for a while, because it felt like so many of them were "say this prayer, say that prayer, do it just so at this time, and turn around in 3 circles just to be sure."  (Okay, I never saw any with that last one.) Seemed superstitious almost, the way some of them were so particular about all the little details. However, over time I have changed my mind.

I love that novenas connect the Church on earth with the Church already in heaven.  I love that they take some discipline and planning so that you can be very intentional with your prayer.

Now if only they would "work"!

Here's the thing, I can't tell you how many novenas I have prayed in years and particularly the last couple of years for ending this singleness of mine.  I hear all of the wonderful stories of praying this or that novena, and all the wonderful things that come just after it.  I have no such story at this time in my life.  I've done novenas to St. Therese, and never seen so much as a flower petal. St. Anthony, St. Andrew, a litany of saints, nothing.

However, I use the quotes about novenas "working" for a reason.  Praying is not like rubbing a genie's lamp to get a wish granted.  I have no doubt that praying those prayers bears fruit, and if I don't get the answer that I'm looking for, then so be it.  As much as I want my time of waiting for a husband to be over, I really do trust God's timing more than my own.

Prayer doesn't change God's mind or heart, it changes ours.  I think that when we ask for something, if we are open to whatever His answer is, it can change us and help us to grow closer to Him.  To be honest, I can't know for sure if His answer is "no" or "wait".  I really do feel that it's "wait". (Okay, fine, God, but not too long, mmkay?)

Anyway, since so many people share their stories of awesome answered novenas, I wanted to share mine of awesome novenas that appear at this point to be unanswered, because I know that there are others of you out there that are in the same boat.  The boat named "Everyone Else Gets Their Answers, Where Are Mine?"  I don't think that our novenas are unanswered.  I just don't think the answers visible yet.  I don't know whether time will show that there were answers on earth that we just didn't see until later, or whether the answer is spiritual fruit that we won't see here on earth.  But there are answers.



*For those of you who are not familiar, a novena is traditionally 9 days, though there are many different lengths. It is often prayed to a particular saint, asking their intercession on a particular matter that they may be a patron of in some way.  Know that the saint themselves do not answer prayer, but they only pass on an answer that they receive from God.  I know, why go to saints when you could pray straight to Jesus? Well, why did God use humans to write the Bible when He could have just sent it to us? Why did Jesus use Mary in coming to earth, rather than just appearing one day? Why depend on us to feed the homeless and visit the sick instead of just appearing Himself?  I think that God has graciously allowed the human race to be a part of His plan and take part in the life He offers.  I think praying for one another is a part of that, and we all know how awesome it is to get prayers from friends.  Such it is with the saints.  They are AWESOME prayer warriors; why wouldn't you have them praying for you?

16 comments:

  1. "Prayer doesn't change God's mind or heart, it changes ours." Whammo! I can identify with that! I've noticed it while praying my current novena to St. Gerard.
    I am also in your same boat ... left without answers, at least that I can see anyway. So far, I haven't "seen" a novena work for me either. I still pray, hope and trust that the saints I'm praying to are delivering my messages to God. Like you, I'd like to see an answer this side of heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooove this post. So, so true. I actually have avoided novenas for the most part because I am so afraid I'll get caught up into almost demanding a certain outcome or get OCD about doing it "right". Also, probably the "worst" novena I ever prayed was regarding an ex-fiance. It was nothing but disaster after that novena. BUT... but... that disaster *needed* to happen for my true vocation to unfold. And you're right that the prayer bears fruit no matter what... in our souls, in a future spouse's soul (hey, those spiritual fruits could be helping speed things up even if you can't see it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me aware that prayers (particularly novenas) are helpful in so many ways and not necessarily the way you expect them to be! You have inspired to start up another novena. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I especially love your explanation at the bottom about praying through the intercession of the saints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. I have actually avoided saying novenas for my own intentions because of fear of the answer. Perhaps it's not the answer I need to be so concerned about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful!

    I once had a commenter tell me, when I was complaining about watching everyone else's prayers being answered, that some people need that miraculous timing in answer to their prayers to increase their faith (and the faith of those around them who see it). But others don't need that type of miracle timing because their faith is already so strong. That made me feel, well, pretty darn good :) I hope it does the same for you!

    TCIE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been there. I have had many novenas that haven't worked, and a few that have. Right now I am on Day 4 of a 30-day novena. Sometimes there's a lag time between the novena and an answer - a very long lag time.

    I think there's a country song called, "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good, and a great reminder. I've only done one or two novenas, but this has me wanting to pray them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree with you on one point only. God CAN change his mind when we pray to him. For example, he changed his mind about smiting the israelites after they had worshipped the golden calf when Moses begged him to reconsider. He did the same with Amos' prayers for Israel and also spared King Hezekiah's life when he saw him weep(Ahab too). So i strongly believe that we can get God to do us a really special favour by fervent, earnest and faith-filled prayer, regardless of how "big" we think it to be. The Blessed Virgin herself said "...with prayer you can suspend the laws of nature...".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. So true. I like your comment. God can change his mind. Ihave been praying for a miracle lately.

      Delete
  11. I have definitely had Novenas "work." When I thought I had lost the love of my life, I prayed the 3 Hail Marys Novena and I was reunited with my mate. Don't give up, and don't lose faith.

    ReplyDelete