Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Little Guide to Mass

I get tend to repeat myself.  That is true in real life, and it's true on this blog.  At least on the blog, I could go back to look and see if I had already said some of this stuff before, but I'm way too lazy for that.  The alternative will be that if you've already read something that sounds very similar, just stop reading!  Perfect solution.

Today in Mass, we began an overview of what some of the new wording will be starting in Advent, as well as some glimpses into why we will be doing some of those things.  As Father went through the steps of the Mass, it reminded me of one of the RCIA classes that we had.  All of these little discussions about why we do what we do at the Mass.  Therefore, I decided to do a quick run through on the blog. Some of this I know I've said before (I don't even have to check), but I'll say it again anyway.

This will not be an in depth look at the Mass.  I just want to briefly go through some of the things we say and do.  I will not cover all of it, and what I do cover, I will not cover completely.  I'm writing this for myself, because I want to be more aware and intentional about what I'm doing at Mass.  For most of the Catholics reading this, you know it already, but feel free to jump in with anything else you have to add!  This is also for anyone reading that's not Catholic that may be curious, especially if you've been to a Mass and wondered what on earth was going on, or for a newer Catholic that hasn't grown up with this, or for those cradle Catholics, who, like me, have forgotten some of it.

It will be in several parts that I will link here as I get them published.

An Introduction
Liturgy of the Word, Part 1
Liturgy of the Word, Part 2
Liturgy of the Word, Part 3

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm looking forward to this! Thanks for doing it. I just downloaded a book to my Kindle called 'A Biblical Walk Through the Mass' - I am super excited to read it and praying for the time to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous idea!! I will be an avid reader of all these posts. And I am looking forward to reading the book Rebecca recommended.....Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to it! I was just reading in Luke the passage about the centurion - probably my favorite line in mass is "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." (You don't happen to know if that'll change with the new wording, do you?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to these posts as well! I know a lot about the changes as a result of my music ministry (we've been rehearsing on and off since Summer seeing that we'll need to sing the new words) and I'll be teaching my Religious Ed (1st graders) as well. And yes, Elizabeth, those words will change. "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." At first I also felt sad about this change, but I have come around to prefer the "my soul shall be healed" part.

    ReplyDelete