Thursday, September 8, 2011

Labor Day Fun

About the middle of the summer hit and I realized that I needed to see my friends in the Midwest.  I am addicted to them, you see, and I needed a hit. Badly.  I love it out here in the West, but I sometimes wonder what I am doing here, because they are there.  On the other hand, as much as I creepily* attached to them, I have to remember that we do in fact have to each live our own lives.

Anyway, I started to think about the fact that Labor Day is a long weekend, and if I took Friday off it would be an even longer weekend, especially when combined with the Thursday that I already had off.  Not only that, but one of my friends had a birthday earlier in the week, and my parents' anniversary was on Friday.  Perfect weekend to head back? I think so.

So another friend and I hatched up a little plot to surprise the birthday girl, and we decided to surprise everyone else, too, just for the fun of it.  Wednesday night I was off to the airport, ready for the weekend with friends. It was beyond wonderful to see them all, and we definitely surprised them! I also got to practice taking pictures of kids instead of mountains.  The kids don't hold still quite as long as the mountains do...

It was so good to spend long days chasing butterflies, playing whatever little games presented themselves, talking about anything and everything, going out for sushi and frozen yogurt and going to said friends birthday party.  And food! Besides my favorite sushi place, the weekend included things like french dip sandwiches and oreo delight.  Surprisingly, I'm up two pounds.

I loved to visit, I hated to leave, but I also remembered why I am here and not there. For now, as much as I hate missing out on so much that is going on "back home", and as much as I really hate not seeing family and friends more often, for now this is my place to wait.  Every time I leave, I leave little pieces of me behind with them, but I also don't know how I could leave my mountains either.



*Inside joke. I'm really not too creepy.

7 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I'm a Midwest girl addicted to the mountains of the West. I love going back to the Midwest and visiting family and friends, but can't be away from the mountains. I long for deep friendships here like I had back home.

    What a fun surprise visit you had! So glad you were able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhhhh....so so SO good to see you and so refreshing to talk to you in real life. Thanks for being you and for being so sweet to our family. Love you, friend. In the creepiest of ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a perfect weekend! I was having fun just reading the post. Oreo delight....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome weekend :) - surprises like this are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I love that you put you aren't "that creepy" lol!! :) I'm so glad that you were able to get away and have some fun with your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Sounds like a wonderful time- so glad you did it ;) We love to eat in the midwest- yes we do! My sis lives in Seattle and she can't find a french dip sandwich anywhere! A very wise woman told me once, "you have to go where your life is." I always think of that when I have a hankering for my sister or if I'm feeling guilty for living an hour and a half from my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your surprise was just the thing! I hope that you'll have another weekend visit like this soon.

    ReplyDelete