Monday, September 19, 2011

Food

Last month I mentioned that I was trying to eat vegetarian for the month. It was an interesting experiment, and the part that surprised me the most was that I really didn't miss the meat. Now there are certain things that I don't want to try meatless, like lasagna (don't worry, Elizabeth, I won't mention any names), but unless you're craving a dish that actually needs meat, the meatless meals are pretty great.  Not to mention that there are more vegetables in them for people like me that sort of ignore that end of the food pyramid.

I didn't even attempt to do vegan, so I was still eating dairy and cheese, but what surprised me is that I found myself eating less dairy and cheese and not really missing it.  That was a fascinating discovery. It turns out that I will not die if I don't have cheese! Who knew?

It went so well, in fact, that I went out and bought a vegetarian cookbook last week, even though it's no longer August, and I'm eating meat again.  The thing is, I find myself liking the more plant-based meals, so I figure that I might as well eat them more often.  I want to have more options for those rare occasions that I actually decide to cook from scratch.

One thing I have thought about is those meals that call for meat where you really want meat.  Like my favorite spicy cheeseburger soup.  I mean, now that fall is here, I have to think about things like that!  That's a meal that I have to have at least once or twice in the fall and winter months.  I could use meatless crumbles, I suppose, but what I think I would really like to do is get the more expensive grass-fed beef for times like that. If you don't eat it often, it would seem that you could pay a little (sometimes kind of a lot) more when you do get it.

I will say that I have made my first couple of recipes from the cookbook.  One is a hot cereal that tastes way better than plain oatmeal with no added sugar (except the fruit that I throw in), and the other is a tempeh curry.  Yum!  I had no idea what tempeh was, but apparently it's related to tofu.  I like it better because I like the texture better.  Anyway, apparently I was in quite the cooking mode, because it was all  fresh ingredients, including fresh cilantro and ginger.  So good!  I'm not sure how often I'll do it though, because cooking for one is a little difficult...

I know! Who wants to come to dinner? (I wish.)


Note: Just as a heads up, you're not through with the food topic yet.  I've been reading a book, so there may be a book review in the future.  You've been warned!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, that cheeseburger soup sounds amazing! You can't write about something like that and not share the recipe - and I will use buffalo meat (from my stepdad's hunting :)) in place of store-bought meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Rebecca. The spicy cheeseburger soup has me salivating and it's only 8 in the morning.

    I've been eating a lot more vegetarian lately, and it's not too bad. I've discovered quinoa, which is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheeseburger soup does sound amazing! I'd love to see the recipe too :)

    Even though I'm not a vegetarian, I'm one of those people who prefers my lasagna to be vegetarian! My mom has been a vegetarian for a long time, and it's the only way we had lasagna growing up. I just can't get used to having meat in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for not mentioning any names :D

    And please please share the best vegetarian recipes you come across! My recipe files and skills are sorely lacking in that department.

    And looking forward to the book review!

    ReplyDelete