Friday, August 12, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 123)

It's Friday!  That's means it's time for Quick Takes, so head on over to Jen's for more fun.

1) Speaking of heading over to Jen's, many of you follow her, so you've probably seen this, but I really liked a recent post of hers over at the NCR.  She's talking about how the sins of Catholics, and in particular some of the scandals of the hierarchy (both recent and past) actually helped to solidify her faith as a Catholic, not drive her away.  My favorite part was when she mentioned historical accounts that "...gave the impression that every bishop who ever lived had a personal harem that he only left long enough to steal from the poor and kick puppies."  As a Catholic, I've often faced those types of accounts, so that made me laugh.  Overall, some good things to think about if you've ever had to answer why you're Catholic when there's so much wrong with the hierarchy.

2) A patient thoughtfully shared some sort of virus with me this last week.  I'm really kind of annoyed about it, because she coughed in my face without attempting to cover her mouth.  At any rate, I am a pansy about being sick.  I haven't been sick in close to 2 years, and let me tell you that I have not gotten any better at it.  In addition, being sick also leads me to a lovely guilt trip.  Either I feel guilty because I'm at work and possibly spreading germs, or I feel guilty because I'm at home and I feel like I should be working.  However, that second part's only true if I feel mostly okay.  When I really feel bad, I don't feel guilty at all about staying home.  So, yeah.  I've been mostly okay, but just a little whiny.

3) Last week, I went on the most awkward date I've ever been on.  The stops and starts in the conversation, the lack of connection, all of it was so over the top bad it was hilarious.  We just went for coffee, (which, since I hate coffee, means that I went for a sugary drink at a coffee shop) and thank goodness it was something short.  When I was about halfway through my drink, he abruptly looks at his watch and says "Well, I think I'm going to go home and watch a movie."  I was so relieved to leave that I didn't even care how rude it was.  (He did invite me to join him.  I declined.) Gotta love dating!

4) I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit that it's definitely left some fallout. I wish I didn't feel that way, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Last weekend, I even made a road trip (even though I'd just gotten back from vacation), just to distract myself.  It didn't entirely work, but it helped a little.  I only wish I could have gotten pictures of half the things I saw.  The wildflowers were unbelievable, but most of the places that I saw them were on the side of the road with no good pullouts close by.  (There was the one spot, but it had some kind of creepy looking sorts hanging out there, so I skipped it.)  I always like a good sky with some clouds, though.

5) I drove far enough that I went ahead and got a hotel room.  This meant that I had cable for the night.  Now there's a good distraction for you.  I was especially intrigued by parts of a show about people who had won the lotto and how it had changed their lives.  I was fascinated by the way that the increase in money did not lead to a similar increase in good taste.  It's amazing how much money you can spend decorating and still have things look ridiculous!

6)  I now have a new plan: get cable.  I'll keep the noise box on constantly and never think again.  Hmm, sounds sort of unhealthy.  Luckily someone already came up with a better plan for me: prayer buddies!  Can I just say how much I love prayer buddies?  I know I say it every time that it comes around, but I really do.  It is wonderful to take the focus off myself for a change and pray for someone else.  Love it.  And I've had some amazingly wonderful people praying for me in the past as well.

7)  I forgot to give the deadline for the giveaway the other day, so I choose next Thursday, whenever I happen to get around to it.  As long as you enter by midnight Wednesday, you'll be in it for sure. Actually, since I go to bed really early, as long as you enter before 6 am (CST) on Thursday, you'll be good. After that, I reserve the right to close it whenever the heck I feel like it.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Jen's NCR article, too. Sorry about the birthday fallout. Hang in there and you're in my prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!
    Sorry about the birthday fall-out.
    Yay prayer buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that lottery show and you are absolutely right.
    Praying for better dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, oh gotta love dates like that. Sooo funny. I remember one date where things were actually going pretty well, and sometime after dinner (while he smoked a cigar), there was just this awkward moment of clarity for both us... like at the exact same moment... where we were just done. The end. This wasn't going to develop into a relationship. Goodbye. It wasn't even like one thing that caused it, it just "was."

    Love the sky photo and the idea of a road trip!

    ReplyDelete