I am thankful that in being single:
1) I needed roommates in grad school, and ended up with a couple of wonderful ones. G, who is the sweetest person you could ever meet, and S, who is possibly the most laid back. Both were wonderful to live with (and both could use prayers; one has had 2 miscarriages in the last year and the other is struggling with sub-fertility and is ready to turn to IVF). I have so many memories of those two; like the time S. and I bet G. two dollars to eat the nasty looking octopus at the Chinese buffet. When she did, we paid up in pennies all over her bedroom floor. S and I also had some wicked foosball tournaments, in which she mostly kicked my butt, but I won some, too. (We had to procrastinate from homework somehow...)
2) I am thankful that I got a chance to go farther away for one of my internships, to a place that I came to love and that became home 5 years later.
3) I am thankful that I got a chance to study my faith on a whole different level once I was out of school and had some time to kill; in particular that I got a chance to spend some serious time with Theology of the Body.
4) I am thankful that, because I was single, I kept going to these get togethers with these people who had so many inside jokes, I despaired of ever fitting in. However, they were awesome, and I kept going when they would invite me. Given my introverted nature and the way I was uncomfortable initially, it was a good thing that I was single and I needed them, or I might not have stuck it out long enough to really get to know them. They turned out to be some of the most amazing friends a person could ever have. (And now I want to cry because I really, really miss them!)
5) I am thankful that in the midst of my singleness, there was a certain insecurity that kept coming up, more and more insistently, and that it led to some amazing healing from God. I can't tell you how happy I am that if I do ever get married, I won't have to depend on my husband to try to heal a wound that only God could really heal from the inside out.
6) I am thankful that my relationship with God went from "good buddies", to a whole deeper level that I never could have imagined.
7) I am thankful that I can indulge myself with TV on DVD. (Wait, how the heck did I go from 6 to 7??)
8) I am thankful that I've had an opportunity to move to a new place and discover a part of me that I didn't really know. Going hiking and climbing seems so natural, but I used to be a couch potato. I especially did not realize there was a part of me that really likes the way it feels to scale some rock!
9) I am thankful for all the opportunities I've had to go to daily Mass.
10) I am thankful that I can get up early or sleep in on a weekend, depending on my agenda for the day.
11) I am thankful that I have a great job that is very rewarding.
12) I am thankful that I got a chance to discover the beauty of regular adoration (which I need to find a way to return to!)
13) I am thankful to have had things to offer up for the people in my life.
14) I am thankful that I could buy a camera and indulge in taking a LOT of pictures.
15) I am thankful that because I needed a place to vent my spleen, I discovered this world of blogland, and was consequently able to meet a whole other group of wonderful, amazing friends from all over the country!