Friday, April 8, 2011
7 Quick Takes Friday (an a Little Giveaway)
1) I am so excited to get to meet a friend's new little guy hopefully in a few days. I have to give big props my friend. On pitocin, confined to lying on one side, and she did it all without an epidural! She's amazing!!
2) I haven't known quite what to do this Lent. I mean, I had some things picked out to do, but I have been tending to fudge on them at the slightest excuse. I guess this Lent is an exercise in humility if nothing else.
3) I am excited by some new reading that I have to do for Lent; or really more for Holy Week. One book is about the Jewish roots of the Last Supper (you knew a book that combined "Jewish roots" and "Last Supper" would inevitably come home with me if I saw it). There is also a book and a booklet about Jesus' last words on the cross.
4) Here's the giveaway part. I've really wanted to read this little booklet by Fulton Sheen called "The Seven Last Words". In fact, I've wanted to read it so much, that I just bought... and didn't realize that I already had it. So of course I decided to share with you! It's only 55 pages, and very small, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming. If you've never read Fulton Sheen, let me tell you, this man doesn't need a lot of pages to make a lot of impact! I'm sure it will be fantastic, but to be completely honest I still haven't read it, despite owning two copies. If you want the booklet, just mention it in the comments. I can only leave this open until Sunday so I can get the winner picked and get it sent before Holy Week starts. Be sure you let me know where to email you, though (you can send me an email if you want). If I can't see your email, I'll have to pick someone else, since I'm on a bit of a time crunch.
5) It's almost Holy Week... which means it's almost Easter... which means I get to see family and friends soon!!! It's only 15 days, in case you were wondering (until my flight leaves, not until Easter). My only two little disappointments are that my flight got moved, meaning that I will miss Good Friday services, and that I won't be able to go hiking that weekend. (Yes, I have a hiking problem. I freely admit it.)
6) So all these hiking club classes I'm taking... they're starting to get on my nerves a little bit. I love the info and stuff, but there's reading assignments and tests and stuff. Blech. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but I do really like the fact that I now have a vague idea of what to do with the compass that's been hanging out in my pack all this time.
7) I'm also really excited (and kind of scared) because I just found out that I can do a really cheap work out with out personal trainer at work. They already are kind of on the cheap side where I work, and then I only have to pay half. It took me a while to decide if I even liked the guy (his personality's a little different), but it turns out he is nice, even though he always sort of seems he's laughing at you. And I can't fault his work outs. He finds some great exercises to get all the muscles in the body going. I want to see him because I would like to see what it's like to have some strength in my arms (and my core). Also, if I want to do more high altitude hiking this summer, I need to get into gear on training. My self-motivation has been lacking. I am a little scared to face how weak I am, but it'll be worth it.
I guess that's it! Have a great weekend and head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!