Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Walking with God

Several weeks ago, a good friend asked how my walk with God was going.  I was so glad they asked the question because I realized in that moment that I didn't know the answer. I didn't know if it was moving forward or back.  I just didn't know what to say.  Of course, like any good friend, when I didn't have an immediate answer, more questions were asked.  Was I doing a Bible study?  Was I going to Mass? 

No.  Yes.

The true answer is that I've been going through the motions. Yes, I go to Sunday Mass, but I have some of the lamest excuses ever for not going to daily Mass.* I've stopped going to RCIA (I sat there each week and didn't really do anything; I hate not feeling useful).  On the one hand, I sometimes think that the motions are all you can manage at certain points in your life and it's better than nothing.  On the other hand, you don't want to stay there.  I think that I've moved past the stage, at least for now, that it's all that I can manage.  Now I just have to figure out how to get back on track. 

I'm so thankful for Lent.  To be honest, even Lent's gotten a little off track with my sister here visiting and one of our random road trips going on (more on that later!) However, the best part about Lent is that it's all about turning back to God.  Above all other times of the year, it is the perfect time to admit that we can't do it all and that we need Him to take over for us.

*Not that everyone has to go to daily Mass, but it's important for me.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, feel like Lent is completely off-track... Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daily Mass is amazing; it's a good way to get the day started. I just wish I could go all the time.

    ReplyDelete