Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Looking Back

One of the things I love out here in the West is all of the old buildings that are still standing.  They're often boarded up, or crumbling, but they still speak.  They tell the story of those that have come before and lived a hard life in a rugged place.  It's interesting to look at old photographs and consider where they lived:



In this one, you can see the cabin in the bottom right hand corner.  I know I wouldn't make it at a ranch, especially one without modern conveniences, but when I see that setting, I almost would like to try.

Where they went to school:


I love the school bell, don't you?

Or what about where the animals lived?


Kind of makes you wish you could see it all in color, right?


Oh, wait.  So maybe the pictures are just from the other weekend, but the past was still speaking; you just have to ignore the electrical lines you can see in some of the photos.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I LOVE these pictures! Seriously, I would decorate my house with them. And you totally fooled me - I was trying to figure out how you got such good digital versions of these old pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome! The last paragraph reminds me of the church I work at - it has humongous windows that look out upon the mountains, but the interstate totally messes up the whole view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. I love these pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be cool to see the old buildings and let your imagination run wild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I love this!! That schoolhouse... I was thinking Little House on the Prairie!

    ReplyDelete