Monday, December 27, 2010

Five Christmas Feasts Answers (Sort of)


The priest never did enlighten us on which feasts are the actual ones that he was talking about.  So I have my guesses, but there's an extra, so I could be wrong.  My extensive 3 minute Google search didn't turn up the answers either.  Katie got most of them. 

1) Christmas
2) Feast of the Holy Family
3) Mary, Mother of God
4) The Epiphany

There's consensus with those.  However, there are two more feasts, so I don't know which of them it is.  Joy got one of them, the Feast of the Holy Innocents. The other is the Baptism of the Lord.

So either Christmas is on it's own and doesn't count as one of the 5, or one of the other ones doesn't actually count.  

Shoot.  Now I'm curious.  I may have to go spend up to five whole minutes on Google and see if I can find a definitive answer.

7 comments:

  1. sweet!

    okay, my two cents is that Baptism of the Lord is the 5th Christmas feast day. but then again, I always get confused about whether that day is the last Sunday of the Christmas season or the first Sunday in Ordinary Time...

    they used to call my Mom the "Liturgy Police" - I'll ask her and let you know what she thinks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come check out my blog post from Christmas Day. I wrote a short post of being your prayer buddy. Not sure if you got my email.

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I mess this up? How traditional is this idea? Because if it is pre-1960s, then I'm thinking that the feasts are:

    1) Christmas
    2) Circumcision of Christ
    3) Holy Family
    4) Epiphany
    5) ?

    The Baptism of the Lord and Mary, Mother of God are both "new" feasts, right?

    I think that the Feast of the Holy Innocents is on the same level as the feast of St. John, St. Stephen, St. Thomas etc. so I don't think that it is one of the big five, though it is one of my favorites.

    Could it be the Holy Name of Jesus? I honestly have no idea how important that was considered traditionally...

    Just trying to extend your time with Google. ;-)

    And Merry Christmas in any case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course as soon as I hit "post comment" I realized two things:

    1. It *could* be the Feast of the Holy Innocents since the current level of recognition isn't necessarily the same as the traditional level.

    2. What about the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation_of_Jesus_at_the_Temple ? It is the traditional end of the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guess: Christmas, Holy Innocents, Holy Family, Epiphany, and Presentation of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad (he's a deacon, if that gives him any credibility) answered the phone and said that "Mary, Mother of God" replaced "Presentation of the Lord" as a feast day, and that "Baptism of the Lord" is now the last feast day of the Christmas season... *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie- sounds good to me. I'm going with it just to get some kind of closure! :)

    ReplyDelete