Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Little Update of Odds and Ends

It has now been over 5 months since I moved.  I can't believe how fast it's all going!  I'm really starting to feel like I'm getting in the flow at work.  I really enjoy my coworkers and the PT closest to me in age is starting to feel more like a friend.  This fall has had its ups and downs.  Expenses have been up, and income has been down due to some slower times in the clinic.   It's all working out so far, though.  Just not getting to put extra toward my student loan like I want to, and I have to stay far, far away from REI and all the fantastic outdoor clothes and stuff that they have and that I want.

I was able to email a little with my former bosses and discuss some things that had been on my mind in the process of leaving there and coming here.  I really do think that they are fantastic people and have a fantastic company.  Tying up the loose ends just really helped bring some closure to some lingering questions that I'd had and has really helped me move forward.  I also think that it helped for them to know exactly what happened, because I left in kind of a hurry.

I'm starting to feel more at home.  I have my go-to hikes when I don't have much time but just want to get out.  I'm enjoying my ENDOW group, and though I've only been with the hiking group a few times, I've really enjoyed that as well.  We had a little hike today that was orientation so that we would have a better idea of what the group offered and how to take advantage of it all.  I met several people that I really hope I get the chance to know better.

And I absolutely love my mountains.  They can be anyone else's mountains, too, but they are my mountains.  I've been back to the Midwest a couple of times in the last few months and I go back again in a few weeks.  I always get so excited to see family and friends, but it makes me a little sad to leave the mountains.  And glad to come back!  I get a little itchy if I haven't gotten to go up in them for a few days.  Even if it's just the little canyon just down the street, that's all I need.  I'm excited to try snow shoeing, but we're going to need some more snow if that's going to happen.

Oooh! One other thing with work... We just moved into our new clinic and it is beautiful. It is so nice to work in such a well-planned space.  I absolutely love my treatment room.  Partly because it's mine.  I got to arrange it the way that I wanted and pick the shelves and things.  My favorite part is that I got some frames and hung up some of my hiking pictures.  They've been a big hit, and one of my patients actually asked me if I picked them myself, or if someone picked them for me.  I got to tell her that I took them, so that was fun.  The compliments may be going to my head, but I'm definitely thinking that if the expenses around here ever calm down, I'd love to get a nicer camera.  My resolution's so bad that even if I get a great picture, 5x7 is the most that I can blow it up.

The fly in the ointment is that loneliness is still killing me bit by bit.  Some days I'm fine and everything's great.  Other days I'm a complete mess.  It's possible that moving has maybe made parts of it a little more dramatic, but given that the last 3 years have been really tough, I can't blame it only on moving.  It's been that way before I moved, and I knew it would be like that here, too.  This is not really the kind of thing that you can move away from or that is caused only by moving. I have friends out here, so that's not really it.  It's more coming home to that empty apartment.  I've had to limit some of my facebook and blogging* just to get through, so that's why I haven't always been leaving as many comments.  Prayers are definitely appreciated, and I'm thankful for my friends that have been praying for me, because this week was definitely better than last, so thanks for that!




*I know there's been some recent discussion about new mothers or expecting mothers or whoever either being worried that they are focusing to exclusively on their children when they blog.  My opinion?  I can't always read it because sometimes it hurts too much, but it doesn't mean that I'm not happy for you.  Furthermore, I think that a lot of us blog to share some part of our lives.  That is your life, and it is one of the most beautiful and important parts of your life.  I really think that you should share it, and I do enjoy reading it on days that I can.

That being said, I appreciated a post of Rae's that sought to include everyone on her blog as much as possible.  It's nice to feel included! :) I also really appreciated Young Mom's strategy of putting something about pregnancy in the title of the post so that those of us that maybe are struggling for various reasons can decide if we're up for it before we read.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're adjusting nicely! Hopefully you'll find a special someone; probably when you least expect it! Very cool that you're able to put up your own pictures in your treatment room to make it really yours; and what a conversation piece with your patients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to catch up with you. Congratulations on your photography and new treatment room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a blessing. I'm excited that things are coming together at work! I know about having to cut back as a teacher, and doing that when you feel the ache of loneliness is rough. My prayers are that you either start to make more money or meet someone...you see, now God is laughing at the first request, and the second request sounds less demanding. ;-)

    I was just stood up this past week, and the ache of loneliness hit harder than I realized. The funny part of it all? I prayed a Rosary before the date...and I've never done that before a date before...so, in some way, I have to say, "Jesus, thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you have a good workspace! That can make such a difference in how enjoyable days are (and I imagine that you work some long ones, at least during your busy times!).

    And I love Katie's approach. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary and Joy- Thanks!

    Katie- God works in strange ways, doesn't He? I've been thinking about how He doesn't seem to answer my prayer, but what if He's not answering my prayer so that He can answer it? Like not answering it yet because it would be the wrong one, so that He can answer it later with the right one. I really like your strategy of slipping that second one in, that made me laugh. :)

    Rae- You're so right. At the moment I'm not working very long hours... but hopefully that will come soon. Then I'll probably complain about being too busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, five months already! Sounds like things are really coming along. And I really appreciate you sharing your life with us!

    ReplyDelete