Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Splendor of the Church

In this world that we live in, it's hard to focus on the splendor of the Church.  It's far easier to focus on the squalor of the Church, the sin of the people within.

In spite of the sin... No, wait.  That is utterly and completely wrong.  Because of the sin of all the people, especially my own, I glory in the splendor of the Church.  The Church is not splendid because of the people within in.  It is bigger than the people, and its splendor lies in Christ.  It is the light of the nations because it brings Christ to the nations.

What does it mean to preach the Gospel? Can you define the Gospel?  The Gospel, the Good News, is so much more than the teachings of Christ or the story of the life of Christ. It is a revelation of Christ Himself. (See Galatians 1:12).

I glory in the Church because when I cannot take it anymore, I can fall at the feet of Jesus, and He is there. Like me, the people around me are broken. Some of us because of our sin, some because of the circumstances of life, but all in need of help.  All of us have fallen short, from the priest at the altar to every last one of us in the pews.  The splendor is in the fulness of Truth Who awaits us at the altar.  It is in the One that welcomes us, loves us and heals us.

5 comments:

  1. "Because of the sin of all the people,
    especially my own, I glory in the splendor of the Church."

    I like that...what a refreshing thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of the line "Look not upon our sins but on the faith of your Church". Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I glory in the Church because when I cannot take it anymore, I can fall at the feet of Jesus, and He is there."

    Yes, yes, yes! Amen!

    ReplyDelete