Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sahara

I loved that movie, Sahara.  The one with Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn.  Entirely unrealistic, but fun nonetheless.  Never thought I'd get a chance to visit the Sahara myself...







Wait... what's in the corner of the last one?



Never mind.  No desert trip for me, just hanging out in Colorado. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to go  to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, you should check it out.  It's surreal to see that much sand in the middle of the mountains.  Personally, I maybe wouldn't suggest middle of the summer.  They say the surface temperatures of the sand can get up to 140 degrees.  Too hot for my blood!



I went in the fall, which was perfect for going barefoot.



I don't know which mountain this is, and I didn't quite catch it in the right light, but I really liked the snow on top and the fall colors, especially the ones that you can tell follow the stream.



Then, on a plant that looked dead, there were these.





There's probably a lesson about thriving in the desert when it doesn't seem possible that anything could grow.  Personally, I just thought they were pretty.

5 comments:

  1. I am so. gullible.

    Wow...she's in the sahara??? Until I got to photo #5. Nonetheless...that is so cool! I'll have to drive that way on the next road trip I take up north!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm half with Katie, and probably the worse half since I was quite confused at first too! :-)

    Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete