Friday, September 24, 2010

Why God Matters, A Book Review

About a month ago, I was asked if I would read and review a book, Why God Matters by Karina Lumbert Fabian and Deacon Steve Lumbert (father and daughter). I figured that I'm always up to read a book, so I thought I would check it out to see what I thought.

It's a simple little book, and each chapter is a story about big and little events in the lives of these two people. These are events that touched them in some way and meant something on their faith journey. Like all personal stories of faith, their story can have relevance to others going through a variety of things. I especially liked some of the quotes from Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church that went along with the stories.

It's a short book and each chapter is short. It can be read one story at a time to allow a person to think about it, or it can be read all at once, and it flows very quickly.

Overall, I liked it okay, but I have to admit that it wasn't my favorite. I think it's more due to the fact that devotional books "Life Lesson" type boxes after every story are not my personal cup of tea. However, the quotes are great, and I liked the personal faith stories that were shared. I always think it's great to see how God is working in others' lives as well. It's a good reminder that we are not alone in the journey and can always learn from others. For more, you can check out the website.

4 comments:

  1. C.M. - thanks for an honest review of 'Why God Matters' and for taking the time to read the book and share it with your blog readers.

    I understand that the format is not something you would usually gravitate toward but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the quotes and the personal stories of faith.

    You are right - we can always learn from others.

    Best wishes,
    Nicole
    Tribute Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, CM. Thanks so much for taking time to share Why God Matters with your readers. I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes and the Catechism paragraphs. (The CCC was Dad's idea, and I'm so glad he thought of it!) Thanks, too, for sharing what you didn't like. I think that helps readers know what to expect.

    Blessings,
    Karina Fabian
    www.whygodmatters.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty much you know that i will like the book then :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey CM, thanks for sharing this book. I hadn't heard of it. Maybe I'll have to check it out (if the stack of books on my desk ever runs out!)

    ReplyDelete