Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm Going to Bed Soon

I came home from work today and immediately changed into my pj's. I made myself eat. Now it's 8:30, and I think I'll write a quick blog post and go to bed.

It was a FANTASTIC weekend. I left early Friday morning for the airport and home. Back to the Midwest for the wedding of an awesome friend. To my surprise, it didn't quite feel like coming home. I mean, it did, but it also didn't quite fit anymore. That was really a good surprise. I'm getting even more settled here than I realized. But seeing family and friends was really, really great. Playing with friends' small children was SO much fun. Who knew that jumping straight in the air could make a 1-year-old fall over laughing? Also, in the middle of the vows, it was really funny to me when the three-year-old told me (in a nice, sedate whisper) "Roar. That's a lion." Always wanted to know what a lion says, and what better timing? And, really, is there anything better than a small child sitting semi-still in your lap?

It was so great to hang out at the reception with a huge table of people that I don't get to see often enough. Great to talk to people that understand my aversion to dancing at receptions. Well, I don't really know if they understand it, but they accept me anyway. Great to collect a bunch of hugs to tide me over until I can get home again.

Sunday it was nice to go to church with my family, followed by a nice big Sunday meal. Including fudge pie, made by my dad. His crust is always really amazing, and the pie was still slightly warm, and perfect with a little ice cream on top. Then we played cards, which included a discussion (as always) of who's "biggest behind" (in last place).

It's really a weekend that you couldn't ruin. The fact that I couldn't hike this weekend did make me a little sad (I have an addiction. There. I said it.) The fact that my bank left me a message saying that they had to cancel my credit card while I was traveling and send me a new one was a little concerning, but fine. (I like my credit card for emergencies while traveling, but I survived.) Even the adventure that was last night and today was okay. Which is to say that my plane got cancelled, so I had to spend the night in a little motel and get up at 4:15, so I could make the airport shuttle by 5. Despite not making it back to my state until 7 am, I still made it to work by 10:30. Now, there is a time zone change in there that I'm trying to ignore. Because then I would have to say that I got up at 3:15 this morning. Hmm, no wonder I'm tired and I have a headache and feel a little fuzzy with the whole thinking thing.

So worth it.


P.S. When my brain was working, I had all sorts of thoughts about the Assumption. They kinda got stuck in the sludge that is currently my brain, but I hope to be able to recover them after a lot of sleep, and then maybe I can add to some of the other posts that I have seen. (I'm pretty sure that those other posts were quite good as well, at least what I could make sense of. They were well-written; my brain just doesn't do comprehension today... How do some people survive on small amounts of sleep? I'm non-functional!)

P.P.S. My apologies if this post doesn't make tons of sense. I'd proofread, but that's feeling pointless.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a refreshing weekend. I'm looking forward to reading what you'll say about the Assumption. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE. It was so so so good to see you. Thanks SO much again for all your help with the boys. They loved playing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you got a great weekend at home, and that it doesn't feel quite like it is entirely "home" anymore! I hope you've gotten some sleep by the time you read this!

    ReplyDelete