Saturday, August 28, 2010

Finished.

I did it. I managed to hike 100 miles before Labor Day.

Today's hike was in my backyard. (So, no pictures. They will eventually make their way to fb, though, so you can check it out if we're friends; and if we're not, but I "know" you, let me know and we can change that!:)) It was about 13 miles, with a 3000 foot change in elevation. It kicked my tush. As did the 6 hikers that were all at least 15 years older than me. Can we say humbling??

I have a LOT of great excuses. I haven't really hiked in two weeks. It was the wrong day of the month to hike. I've been eating the wrong things for a couple of weeks. Of course, 2 of those would be my fault. All I know is that when I started up the trail this morning, I thought, "Wow. I really don't want to do this right now." When the trail started to get difficult, I wondered where my legs were. You know how sometimes when you workout, you feel like you could conquer the world, and other times you feel bleh? I'm going for the latter on this one. My legs were just not in on the deal this time.

In the end, though I was the last one up, I did make it to the top. At first I thought coming back down wasn't as bad as it could be, but now that I'm home, I think it's worse than I thought! I have to go to the grocery store tonight, but I'm not sure I can make it down my stairs and then back up with the groceries. Holy cow, I hurt!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Nothing. I can't wait!!

P.S. Dear new town that I live in,
Was that a track meet that I heard last night at the school? If it's fall, and there are lights on at the football stadium, it's FOOTBALL. Who has track meets in the fall? Cross country, yes. Track? Not so much. Did I move to a new state, or a new universe?

Quick poll: How many of you have track and field in the fall? Anyone?

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!! How awesome that you hiked 100 miles! You are encouraging me to get up and start moving! I remember our days with the early morning walk/run around Hopper. Though it was SO hard to get up, it felt so great once I got to school. I am really hoping to start that up again- I fear I need the sleep more than the exercise but Im quite sure my body needs to MOVE! (The schools I taught/teach at in Wisconsin and New Jersey had track in the spring- weird!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on achieving your goal! That's great!

    (And I have never in my life heard of spring track.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Track in the fall? It's in the spring here...a lot of the football players are also on the track team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiking 100 miles is a feat! So, your feet surely deserve a day off!

    And....are ya ready for some FOOTBALL?! (because it's fall!!)

    ReplyDelete