Monday, August 2, 2010

Chasm Lake: The Good

I decided that I needed an extra special hike this week, so I went to Chasm Lake. I've been there a couple of times before, and it never disappoints. There is a large portion of this hike that is above the tree line. I love the tundra. In the short summer, it is a place of impossibly small flowers and huge mosquitos. The camera cannot capture how tiny and delicate the flowers are any more than it can convey how large the peaks are. It is a world that is simultaneously too small and too large to adequately photograph.

I almost hate putting the pictures up. They don't do it justice. It's a place that should be experienced. The peace... The tranquility... The shouts and sounds of falling rock dislodged by the mountain climbers... Okay, that did disturb me whenever I heard that. The good news is that the shouts had more of a warning tone of voice rather than a panicked sound like something was really wrong.

I will put the pictures up, want to or not. There were some good ones of the columbines; they're not really the small flowers like some, but they're gorgeous and I love them, so you'll continue to see batches of those. As to the pictures, I'll just try to give them to you as I saw them along the hike.























That's the good. This hike also has a bad and an ugly, which I'll have to share as well, but I'll save that for a different post.

I'm now up to 75 miles, so should be on target for 100 before Labor Day, depending on how August goes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. If those pictures don't do it justice, I can't imagine how beautiful it really looks!

    ReplyDelete