Friday, July 2, 2010

Quick Takes

For more Quick Takes, go to Jen's.

1. I love my trekking poles. I didn't realize how much of a difference they would make, but it's really nice to come down a mountain without the sharp pain in my knees. They also help in the snow, but hopefully there will be less and less of that to deal with this summer.

2. Last weekend found me a little homesick again. I needed comfort, but you'll be proud of me. I did not turn to pudding. Or Twix. Or any of those other things. Rather, I found my way to the bookstore. I really should have gone to the library instead, but I love the bookstore more. My wallet does not love the bookstore so much...

3. I found an organic grocery store. The prices are kind of an arm and a leg, but I kind of like it. The store, not the prices. The more I find out about the food I eat, the less I like it. I'm not sure how much organic I'll be able to afford, but I like the idea of trying to do more with that. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Yesterday was so busy that I barely got lunch. Even more than that, I was so busy that I pretty much forgot that I hadn't eaten lunch! But it was a good busy. Busy with patients that are feeling much better, and that's always fun.

5. I do have more hiking pictures, of course, but I haven't gotten them onto the computer yet.

6. It's almost 4th of July! I don't have much to do for the celebration. I'll hike, like every other weekend. Also, I'll hang out on my balcony to watch some of the fireworks.

7. For all of you that have a long weekend, have a good one!!

6 comments:

  1. That picture in the header is spectacular! Someday I will do those trips...when the munchkins are grown...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding a good local library and grocer, understand the need to watch pennies but still so good for that important sense of being home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always interested in doing more "organic" food as well. Although I quote that word becuase some of what is labeled as organic is not as safe/natural as it might sound and some of what I grow in my own yard would not be organic because I have been known to use, when needed, Miracle Grow AND Sevin to control the pests who would relegate my cabbages inedible anyway. So... I'll be interested to see what you find and how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free fireworks are the best~! My wallet loves everything a bit too much! haha. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the secret to eating healthier / more organic is to just go slow. I just started picking products that had fewer words I couldn't pronounce. If the price is close between two products, I'd pick the organic one. Lately I've started trying to eat less processed food. I think I'm trending toward more organic without making a massive switch in my budget to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're going to try going more organic, but only want to do so slowly, I'd say start with milk. I will never drink non-organic milk again. It's just digusting. The difference is palpable. Milk from grass-fed cows is the best (you even get some omega 3's from all the plants the cows ate), but organic dairy is so much better than conventional -- no hormones, no antibiotics, no infected products. Conventional milk can contain a certain percentage of milk from infected cows as long as it's less than like 25%. So gross.

    Sorry for the rant! (But seriously, try organic milk!)

    ReplyDelete