Saturday, June 19, 2010

Q: What Do Weather, Smoke Alarms and Birds Have in Common?

A: They're all on crack.

At least around here they are. I've been told that the weather around here is very changeable. Some of the transplants seem a little miffed by it. A lot of the natives seem proud of it. Changeable is one word for it. Bipolar is another. I have seen near record highs. I have been frozen out by the low, low temps and my stubborn refusal to turn on the heat in the middle of June. I have seen sun, gentle mists, torrential downpours, and hail.

The birds are another whole story. Some sparrows have built a nest right over my patio door. They never shut up. Never. I don't usually hear them in the middle of the night, but my mom said they kept her awake from 3 am on the night that she stayed out here. I do hear them early, early in the morning and late at night. There are also some swallows that like to dive bomb the place.

Then there's my smoke detector. One morning I was just finishing up my shower, when the smoke detector starts going off. I'm standing there, dripping wet, trying to figure out what to do. I didn't see or smell anything out of place so I just wanted it to shut up. After only a few minutes of me staring at it in consternation, it stopped. I breathed a sigh of relief, because my ceilings are high, and I didn't think I had anything that would allow me to reach it to take care of the battery.

And then it started again. And then it stopped again. It's been silent ever since, but I would really like to know what its deal was!

2 comments:

  1. I think it may be time to remove the battery from that smoke detector (when it is not making noise and driving you crazy!) and to install a new one where you can easily reach it! I *hate* faulty smoke detectors!

    As for the rest... I'm sorry? Maybe the birds will be done nesting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud to this! Hopefully the birds keep moving North!

    ReplyDelete