Thursday, February 11, 2010

Doing God a Favor

I did God a favor the other day. Have you ever done that? Well, I was feeling pretty magnanimous that day and decided to do what I could. The situation is that I have a weekly Adoration time at our local chapel. I've been able to be fairly consistent, and the only times that I've missed have been occasional vacation times, which I've been able to get covered. A couple of weeks ago, I just didn't make it for the first time ever. There was a blizzard, so it's not like I was being lazy, but I still felt a little bad. Fast forward a week. I had worked a long day, and was just finishing up with a make up basketball game about the time that my hour of Adoration was supposed to start. I hadn't had supper, and I was going to be at least 10 minutes late.

It's amazing how a good excuse one week leads me to be more willing to allow for another excuse the next week. Never mind that the chapel was on the way home. It was late. I was tired and hungry. Surely God would understand if I didn't come in one more week. I'd get back on track the next week. After all, I shouldn't be working any more late Mondays.

I started my drive home, but by the time I got about to the turn off for the chapel, I'd had a change of heart. Look at all the things that God had done for me. Surely for His sake I could put off eating for a few minutes longer. For His sake, I could put aside my tiredness and wait a few minutes longer to go to bed. Almost before I knew I was making the decision, I found the car heading in the direction of the chapel. Not going to lie, I was a little proud of myself for setting aside my wants for God.

I no more than walked in the door when it struck me full force.

I. Am. An. Idiot.

There is nothing like the presence of God to bring me to my knees, to make me realize that I wasn't there because He needed me. I was there because I needed Him. He is the food that I needed far more than any physical meal. He truly is the rest and refreshment that I most seek. I walked in tired, hungry, and burnt out. I walked out refreshed, and so very thankful that God would use even my idiocy and pride to do me the favor of drawing me closer to Him.

**Note: The week after this happened, we had another really bad storm, and they even closed the chapel. I'm so glad I didn't give in to the excuses and have to go 3 weeks without Adoration!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that an amazing feeling? I wish I could get to Adoration at our Parish. It's only from 8am to 8pm on Thursdays and now with no car, it's virtually impossible. My kids have it built into their school schedules for Thursdays...but man, I need to find a way to get to Adoration again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our Parish had Adoration. I have only ever heard of it, but would seriously love it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my story tonight! Got to go!! Thank you for reminding me to visit Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete