Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Way It Goes

I have a goal. That goal is to someday write a blog post (this one doesn't count). I don't know when it will happen ever again. I have had posts that I have struggled with, either how to word it, or whether I really wanted to share it. I have had posts that I started to say one thing and another thing came out, so I had to write another post. I have had writer's block, and literally had nothing to say. Sometimes I would try to say something anyway, not always a good plan. Other days I would just not say anything at all. Nothing wrong with that.

I have never had a situation like this. I have several things that I would love to write about. Things that have been brewing for a while and are pretty well boiling over. They demand an outlet, and I can't seem to oblige them. I have started post after post after post. I have tried different angles. I've started over numerous times. I've come close to finishing the posts, only to get stuck and delete the whole thing in frustration. I am not exaggerating when I say that I've hit the "New Post" button 2 or 3 times per day since January 1st, but the only things that have gotten published have had nothing to do with those topics.

I'm only telling you this because I like to complain. And because I wanted to see what it felt like to follow up "New Post" with "Publish Post", even if I still didn't get all my jumbled up thoughts straightened out. Also, if my brain finally explodes from either the gallimaufry or from the frustration of not being able to put things to words, then I wanted you all to know what happened.

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I write the same way I read. I am always reading several books at the same time,and I am always writing several blog posts at the same time. Sometimes the words just can't some together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to me too sometimes! It can be hard to be able to say exactly what you want to say. I hope you'll be able to write what you need to say soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear. Try posting the topic and telling us what you want to write about... and then we can all ask questions and you can answer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for getting this posted. :-) I have had something of the opposite problem where I post things without re-writing them enough to make them fit for those who read my blog. I am working on writing up posts and then making them sit for a month before I actually publish them.

    Do you know whether the problem comes from concern over what others will think? Does it help to just write it out, or do you need to publish it publicly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem. As a matter of fact, my string of NFP posts were like that until I finally just decided to break them up and categorize my thoughts the way I did into 3 posts. I could have written so much more on that topic, too, but didn't want to get all preachy. So I think i know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kacie- great idea, but I don't thing it's just one topic. It's certainly more than one post. Then again, they're intertwined enough that when I try to separate them it doesn't work either. I've been thinking a lot about authentic femininity, spiritual motherhood, some of the crazier titles of Mary and intercessory prayer.

    Rae- Good job on the self-control! :) Sometimes I can let a post sit for a while so I can think about it or reread it later. Most of the time, I'm just excited to get it posted. I'm usually not too concerned about what other people think. I mean, I want to be respectful of other people, but I try not to worry too much about how people will receive it. I have written before where no one would read, but I find that it usually helps much more to write knowing that I have to explain it in a way that people will understand.

    Michelle- If I could get something out of this mess as clearly worded as your NFP posts, I would be a happy camper!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have oodles of thoughts up there just bumping around, but getting them on the computer proves difficult. I feel my blog has been so BLAH lately because I haven't written anything creative. Maybe someday I can get my thoughts organized!

    ReplyDelete