Sunday, December 6, 2009

That Dumb Verse

Today we read what may be my least favorite verse in the whole Bible:

Isaiah 40:4

Okay, technically we read Luke 3, but it quoted that verse. Do you know which one I'm talking about?  

"Every valley shall be lifted up,
and every mountain and hill made low;
the uneven ground shall become level, 
and the rough places a plain."

Yeah.  Not a fan.  Let's take this one step at a time.



"Every valley shall be lifted up..."




"...and every mountain and hill made low..."




"... the uneven ground shall become level..."



"... and the rough places as a plain."





I hate that verse.



2 comments:

  1. Hehe :) Maybe we can look at it as Isaiah's talking about our souls. Like, where there are craters and valleys of need or hurt, God will clean it all up in the end. To even out our rough spots with his perfect love. To make us a clean, flat, smooth slate on which his plan can be implemented.

    But, I can sympathize with your distaste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, of course, but even though the logical part of me knows and rejoices in that, I shudder at the idea of the mountains and hills being mad low! :)

    ReplyDelete