Sunday, December 27, 2009

I'll Give You a White Christmas!

Everyone who goes around singing sentimental nonsense about how they want sparkly snow for Christmas deserves any and all rotten tomatoes launched in their direction.

Then again, I love a white Christmas!

I have to admit that I have a very schizophrenic view of all the snow. On the one hand, I love it; it's so pretty and so much fun. On the other hand, I hate it. It gets in the way, changes plans, and generally makes things more difficult.

I made it to my parents' Wednesday night. The roads were not fantastic and the ice added 40 minutes to my 2 hour drive, but I made it, and that's the important part. The ice on the trees is so pretty and so dangerous. There was one house in particular on my drive up. The Christmas lights were reflecting off the ice on the trees, and it was pretty amazing. It's also fun to watch the strange dance of icy trees when the wind blows. On the other hand, it's not so good when all the branches start breaking. An inch of ice will do that to you! Part of our entertainment for the weekend was pressing our faces to the glass to watch for the next limb to fall. Okay, maybe we weren't that bad, but they did fall frequently enough that we watched some of them fall, followed by a shower of ice shards and twigs.

The ice lasted through most of the afternoon on Thursday before it switched to snow. At noon we were still planning to try to make it to Christmas Eve Mass. By 3 we knew it wasn't going to be possible. The weather and roads were bad and getting worse. Nor did we make it Christmas morning. By then, not only were the roads treacherous, but we couldn't get out of my parents' lane anyway. I hated not going to Mass at Christmas, but I have to admit that we had a blast being snowed in together. We couldn't get out until Saturday until about 3 when a friend of my parents' came with his skid loader. God bless him! I needed to get back to get some things done that I hadn't been able to do since I had to leave early on Wednesday.

I don't know how much snow they had, but it was a lot. It was crazy, and not a Christmas that we'll forget any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment