Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gaudete Sunday!

Anyone else love Gaudete Sunday?  Yes, I realize that it's Tuesday, and almost the end of Tuesday at that.  Still, we can celebrate the pink all week long.  The third Sunday in Advent has some of the best readings of the year.  "Gaudete" means "rejoice", and it's hard not to if you listen to the readings.

"Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your hearts, O daughter Jerusalem!"

Zephaniah's talking to us, people! God sees us as the cherished daughter that He is coming to save.

"The Lord has removed the judgment against you,
He has turned away your enemies."

Think of it!  He has saved us from ourselves and from any others that may try to harm us.

"The King of Israel, the Lord, is in you midst.
You have no further misfortune to fear."

I always forget this.  I always forget that no matter what I'm going through at the moment that God is right there in the midst of it.  He is the King and will rule over it all in the end.  It can't conquer me, because it can't conquer Him.

"On that day, it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Fear not, O Zion, be not discouraged!"

And how our papa, JPII, reminded us of that!  That, I think, more than anything else is what strikes me as a huge difference between those I call "the JPII generation", and those who are not.  While we all have our moments of fear and discouragement, we have been brought up to realize that we need not fear.  We can rejoice, because:

"The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a mighty savior;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you with his love.
He will sing joyfully because of you,
as one sings at festivals."

I love it! And so I say to you:

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!"

Happy Gaudete Sunday (and rest of the pink week).


3 comments:

  1. Yay, how joyful! And I'm glad you're getting around to this on Tuesday - we didn't get around to lighting our advent wreath until last night, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love Gaudete Sunday! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love Gaudete Sunday, I used to count how often I would hear my name during mass.

    ReplyDelete