Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Psalm 1, Verse 3

So, about the memorization.  I think I have the first 2 verses about memorized.  Now for the third:

"He is like a tree
planted by streams of water, 
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers."

I like the image of the Word of God being like streams of water that we can draw our strength from.  I also like the idea of yielding fruit at the proper time.  Not all the Scripture that I read is going to be perfectly applicable to the particular day or situation that I am in, but if I soak it in, it will be ready for that time.

Let's talk about the last line.  That's what I really want to talk about.  We all love the prosperity gospel (if by love, you mean hate), yet here is the perfect verse "supporting" it.  Just Thursday one of my friends brought up the idea of prosperity.  Her question was why "prosperity" should always mean "wealth".  As she said, of all the gifts that God gives us, that is one of the least.

What is prosperity?  If we are truly living our lives in order to grow closer to God, then prosperity is anything that brings us closer to God.  That may mean that we prosper the most during hardship, because we turn to Him and hold on tight.  At least, we do if we meditate on His law day and night, and don't walk in the counsel of the wicked. 

At any rate, the potential is there in all moments of our lives, easy and hard, to prosper and grow closer to God.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I was looking forward to hearing what you had to say about that line, and I was not disappointed! What an enlightening way to look at prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the prayer often used at Mass that speaks of God giving us everything that we truly need. I wish that I could remember the words!

    And since you sound like prayers from Mass, I guess you must be right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts on the prosperity gospel!

    ReplyDelete