Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Planting by Stealth

We had a long meeting the other night at church about what we are going to do over the next five years to help our parish grow.  It's growing very well right now, but our pastor is not one to rest; he's always looking for the next step.  Some of the stuff he had to say was very good, but in the small group that I was in, the deacon and his wife had some issues with the whole thing.

They want nothing to do with five year plans.  They simply want to plant the seeds of faith and let the Holy Spirit bring the growth.  I think that there is a place for five year plans, but I have to admit that I like the deacon's point a little better.  The funny thing is, he does kind of have a plan for his ministry (specifically RCIA and the youth group), he just doesn't look at it like that.

Moving beyond the meeting, he made me think about planting seeds.  I'm a fan of planting seeds.  It's fun.  Sometimes it's very conscious and purposeful.  Sometimes it just happens and you don't even know it.  I always bring up my Grandpa's Bible reading, but it was so huge in my life.  All the days of his life that he read the Bible, lived his faith simply and profoundly, but that one day I saw it, and that one day made a huge difference in my life.  I doubt he even knew it at the time, but that was one serious seed.

My favorite is the stealth seeds.  Those are the ones that you drop on unsuspecting folks and they don't even know it.  They might be friends, family, colleagues or complete strangers.  Sometimes you just have to unleash a sneaky prayer on their a... soul.  I don't know why I like it so much.  Maybe it's the older sister in me that likes to mentally hold it over them that I know something they don't know; they're getting divine assistance they never even realized. (Does that attitude completely ruin the prayer?) I like knowing that something is being done for them right now, whether they realize it or not.  I'm not talking about my measly little prayer.  I'm talking about God's capability and willingness to provide beyond all we ask or imagine.

So if you happen to think of it, drop some stealth seeds today.  But try not to be like me and gloat over your victims.  It really is in poor taste.  (Sorry to say that I will probably maintain my tastelessness unless someone releases some serious prayer bombs in my direction; that older sister stuff sticks tight.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, agreed with the older sister comment!
    I usually try to pray for people on the side of the road and ambulances when the pass by, thinking how exciting it is to pray for them when they don't know it. I love your point about doing it for our friends and family!! I will definitely "drop a stealth seed" today :D

    ReplyDelete