Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ways You Can Freak Yourself Out If You Live Alone

I woke up in the middle of the night last night to go to the bathroom and saw that my bedroom door is closed.  This was very weird to me, because I rarely close my bedroom door.  Sometimes I close it if the tv in the upstairs apartment is too loud, but it wasn't on last night. I don't remember shutting that door.  

It's not like I shut the door to change and forgot to open it.  I never shut the door.  Of course, in the middle of the night,  my theory is someone wanted to rob the place, but they didn't want to wake me so they shut the door (either they're very polite robbers or they're trying to make as clean a getaway as possible).  I recognize this doesn't sound too likely, but I really, really don't think clearly in the middle of the night.

I will tell you that I didn't take myself too seriously.  It didn't stop me from going to the bathroom, and it certainly didn't stop me from falling back to sleep quickly.  I was awake long enough to wish that someone else lived here so that I could blame it on them rather than try to figure out how and why the door ended up being shut.

I do have a special note to anyone that would consider trying to rob me.  When I went to get renter's insurance, the agent was going through any "assets" I might have.  By the time we were through, her assistant literally burst out laughing and said "Kind of makes you want to put a sign up that says 'Don't bother!'"  Needless to say, my insurance is quite cheap.

1 comment:

  1. That last bit is just too funny! I know how that goes...ours is low too. We live in a 30+ year old mobile home, have hand-me-down furniture that has seen it's better days, etc. Yeah, anyone who breaks into our house will have wasted their efforts. :P

    ReplyDelete