Thursday, July 30, 2009

Well Played, My Friends. Well Played.

Yesterday was my birthday.  I know birthdays don't mean much to some people, but I have to be honest: I like mine.  I'm a fan of being alive. 

I don't necessarily do big birthday plans.  I took the day off.  I like my birthday and I like days off, so it's always a great combo.  Mass was great.  Monsignor talked about Martha's faith and trust when Lazarus died, and those are some of my favorite topics right now. Then I was hanging out with my family.  Dinner, a movie, ice cream and several bookstores.  Good stuff.

That would have been enough, but I also was meeting a good friend for dinner.  Let's talk about that for a minute.  A week ago, she asked me if I wanted to go to dinner for my birthday.  She actually sent me a voicemail, and when I didn't respond right away (because I was working, and I'm rude like that when I'm at work) she sent me a text.  Other stuff came up, and I forgot to answer it, but I figured it was fine because I would see her later.  I finally tell her I'd love to go to dinner, and she immediately starts hounding me about where we should eat.  I'm wondering why it needs to be decided so soon, but didn't really think about it.  I also wasn't very forthcoming with any ideas.  I didn't care where we ate, I was just glad we were getting together.

Then let's talk about when I pulled up to the little restaurant.  I had never eaten there, but figured it must be pretty good, because there were a lot of cars there for a Wednesday night.  It took me a little bit to find a parking spot.  I noticed a Rav, because I have a different friend that drives one of those, but I didn't think too much of it, because there are a lot of those around here.

My friend texted me to ask where I was, so I called to tell her I was on my way in... and heard small children in the background.  It sounded like a third friend's 2 year old, so that was a little weird, but I didn't think too much about it again, because I just figured it was a full restaurant and there were probably some families there.

Okay, now let's talk about another car that was there that was familiar.  I'm not going to lie.  That time I thought maybe some other friends were around and dropped by, too.  That's not uncommon.  BUT I STILL DIDN'T GET IT.  I'm so clueless.  I walked in to not 1 or 2, but about 20 friends waiting for dinner!  

I have planned my share of surprises, but I don't think anyone's ever planned one for me.  If they have, I don't remember being particularly surprised, because it seems like there are always a few hints.  I honestly had no idea.  It was so much fun! 

At least, for me it was.  I have to be the world's worst person to surprise, because my reaction to surprises and loud noises is to get quieter, not to scream or jump up and down or anything like that.  Good thing no one was taping it, because I don't think AFV would be very interested in my statue impression (even though I thought the slight deer-in-the-headlights expression was a good angle.  Too overdone, you think?)

Well played, friends.  Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! it was a super fun night for one of the best friends of all time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete