Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sweet Baby Love

One of the things that I love about writing is trying to find just the right words and tone to convey my thoughts.  It's not like I put a huge amount of time into it for things like blog posts, but even then there are times that word choices make all the difference to catch the right shade of meaning or the nuance that you're looking for.  Which brings me to a question.  Have you ever noticed a monumental oversight in the English language? There is only one stinkin' word for "love". How can you possibly catch all the nuances of different and amazing loves in that one word?

I love German chocolate cake. Wow. Yum.

I love "Lost". That is a great show and I wish I could be around minds that work like that. How do they come up with and keep track of all the story lines? What is the process of writing a show like that?

I love sushi. Actually, I probably don't really love sushi, because if there's too much raw fish, I'm not a fan. I do like some raw fish ones, and the vegetable ones, and I really love the not-really-sushi-because-it's-batter-dipped-and-tempura-fried ones. 

I love to read. I love the way a story can take me to a different time or place or the huge number of new things that can be learned (so cliche, I know). 
I love vegging out with a good movie or reality show. I've recently come to like Survivor a lot. If it has any redeeming value, I don't know what it is.  I just like to watch it. (There's my confession for the day.)

The are all acceptable uses of the word "love".  Here's some more:

I love hanging out with my friends, living life together.

I love holiday dinners with my family, with all the special traditions, like my dad starting to tell what he's thankful for every single meal before he "remembers" that it's not Thanksgiving this time.

I love a little child's laughter.

I love it when someone's injury  gets better and I get to help the process.

How is it that the same word is used in all of these examples?  They are so different.

The love of people should be a whole other category of its own. There is the love of a man and woman (I have no personal experience of that.  I have had crushes. I am, after all, a female, and I did live through junior high. And high school... I would have to add college as well. For the sake of my dignity I'm going to stop there.)  What about the love of parents for children and children for parents.  The love a man has for his mom, wife, sister and dog are very different, though the word stays the same.

What about special cases?

For example, sweet baby love. How can this not have a very special word all its own? A newborn is just so impossibly precious, from their incredibly fine baby hair to their ridiculously tiny toes. 

I fell in love last night with a tiny little guy that was just a day old. That would sound a lot less creepy if there was a good word for "sweet baby love". Until then, I guess I'll just have to clarify that I fell in sweet baby love last night.  I really don't know how you mothers handle "sweet baby love" plus "mother's love" all at the same time.  How are you still alive? Maybe there's something in the hormones that keeps y'all from exploding with it.



P.S. You know what else I love? I love that this sweet little guy I mentioned has an amazing older brother that I also love.  I don't have the appropriate word for that, but I'm going to call it "crazy amazing two-year-old love."  Which is confusing because "crazy and amazing" describes the 2-year-old.  Really, we need more words for love in this language!

P.P.S. There's one other thing that I really, really love.  I love that these little guys have such great parents that I also love.  It would be very awkward to have to pretend to like the parents in order to play with the children!

2 comments:

  1. oh. my. gosh. I love YOU. :) And I cried a little while reading this. Don't judge me.

    Those little guys love you a lot and we are so so SO thankful for you.

    When are we hanging out? It needs to be soon.

    PS - remind me to tell you a hilarious "exploding with love" story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really excited this made your top 7 list. :)

    ReplyDelete