Sunday, June 7, 2009

More on the Mass

I've been thinking.  Several days ago, lost in the onslaught of a severe case of blogorrhea, I had a post about the Mass.  (I just said "blogorrhea" and "Mass" in the same sentence.  Excuse me, please.  I'll be back to finish this post after I go to confession.)  If the Mass is really all that it claims to be (and I absolutely believe that it is), then why are Catholics so ho-hum about it?  What is the difference that some people can't wait to get to Mass, and others can't wait to get out of Mass?

I have some ideas (I'm sure you've never noticed that I can be a wee bit opinionated), but I want to hear what you think.  What, if anything, does the Mass mean to you?  What's your experience?  Love it? Hate it? Take it or leave it?

If you used to find it boring, but now find it the best part of your week, what made the difference to you?  If you used to love it and now you go to a different church, or no church at all, or only under protest, what changed?

I would love to hear your thoughts.  I subscribe to the comments, so even if you happen to read this months after it's posted, please post if you have something to say.



2 comments:

  1. Without much thought, I shall respond. When I was in RCIA last year, our pastor taught a lot about the Mass. He explained how the different parts of the Mass flow together and pointed out that he doesn't break the parts apart as some priests do. One of our priests always leaves a long pause between the pieces.
    It was very helpful to have an understanding of what is really happening, instead of just going through the motions.
    As part of Sacramental preparation for my kids, we had parent sessions led by our priests. I learned more and more about the Mass through those sessions.

    In his homily this morning, Fr. Joe talked about how casual folks have become in our culture, especially in regards to church.

    In short, I think if more folks understood the Mass, more folks would appreciate the Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I don't obviously know much about Mass, but as our Sacrament meetings may be somewhat similar, could I share a thought? I know, for me, it's all about what you put into it. Honestly, there are days when I am tired, and ready to get home from church to take a nap. I find, though, the better prepared I am with a prayer in my heart, and a focus on our Savior's sacrifice, the more I get out of it, and the more it means to me.

    ReplyDelete