Monday, June 1, 2009

The Mass

Sometimes I like to talk about what I was thinking about in Mass, or what the readings made me think of, or something like that.  I would love to talk about the Mass in general, but I get scared.  I get scared is because Mass is so sacred and so holy that whatever I say will not be enough.  I can't be clear enough, I can't go deep enough, I can't go high enough.  There are not enough words.  There are not the right words.

Maybe you are confused by what I'm talking about.  Maybe you've been to Mass every week of your life and you don't see too much that's special about it.  In fact, you might be rather bored by it, but you go anyway because that's what you do.  Maybe you go through the routine and the ritual mindlessly.  If you do stop to think about what you're doing, maybe it's only to question why you continue to go.

Maybe you used to go to Mass.  Maybe you went every Sunday, and possibly even during the week at Catholic school.  Maybe you got very little out of it.  Maybe after all those weeks and years of going to Mass, you finally decided to try something else.  Maybe you didn't find Jesus until you left the Catholic Church.  Maybe you decided that the old men were wrong and there is no God.

I don't know your story.  I can't speak to your experience.  I would love to hear your experience, good, bad, or indifferent.  However, all I can tell you in this post is my experience:

I love the Mass.  I love the liturgy as it has been passed down through the centuries.  I love sharing a worship experience with all others throughout the world that are going to the Mass that day.  I love the worship of the Bible coming to life before my eyes in my parish church.

I know it's not perfect.  I know that there are crazy distorted liturgies out there that try to be your relevant weekend entertainment.  I know that there are people that do not respect any sort of dress code.  I know that there are people that show up to the Mass with the same enthusiasm that they show for doing the laundry.  I know that when I am there, I fall short in my understanding, attention and reverence.  It's a given.  Not one of the people at the Mass is perfect.  While we should constantly strive for excellence, it will never be perfect this side of heaven.  That's reality.

That is, it's not perfect insofar as it relates to our end of the deal.  It is perfect insofar as it is the perfect Lamb, and the perfect High Priest.  

Perfect.  Now I'm speechless.



2 comments:

  1. I am so behind on reading your posts! Yikes! I've got some catching up to do!

    Have you read Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper"?

    It was one of the books a friend loaned me when I started my journey into the Church. Go read it! Now! Put down Intro to the Devout Life and go (ok, well, I guess you don't have to be in THAT big of a rush. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have. That is a FANTASTIC book.

    ReplyDelete