Monday, June 15, 2009

I Don't Say This to Brag, But...

Who am I kidding? Anyone who says that phrase is getting ready to be obnoxious, but is trying not to sound obnoxious.  Instead of being hypocritical, I'm going to embrace it: this entire post is about me bragging.  If you can't stand braggarts, then please stop reading, because you won't like me anymore, and I will probably start to cry.  But it won't stop the bragging.

In grad school, I had the dubious honor of weighing more than I had ever weighed in my life.  I weighed, well, 30 pounds more than I weigh now.  My absolute highest weight was actually 34 pounds more than I weigh right now.  It's been three and a half years since then, and it hasn't come off very fast.  Sometimes when it comes off, it goes right back on again.  I generally do a much better job talking about eating right and exercising than I do about eating right and exercising.

Today was different.  Today was a very skinny day.  My scale said I was 34 pounds below my highest point, which is lower than it's been in 5 years.  It was the first chance that I got to wear one of the pairs of pants I just bought, and they were fitting on the loose side.  I went shopping again this weekend, and everything just looked good.  I was wearing some small shirts!  I don't think I've gotten a small shirt ever!

Have you ever noticed with weight loss, that you struggle and struggle in the same place for a long time, and then sometimes you wake up one morning and notice for the first that the pounds are gone?

Part of the excitement came from the fact that I noticed today that I was missing a constant companion: my belly roll.  It still comes back with the right pair of pants, but it was gone today with the looser ones I had on.  My small shirt was fitting smoothly.  I couldn't believe it!

I have to tell you about part of the place that my belly roll went, because I think it's kind of ridiculous.  I drive a lot, and I get frustrated by stoplights.  Also, I recently have been making a concerted effort to try to fit in a little exercise here and there, since I can't seem to get a full workout in to save my life.  (Never mind.  I usually can't get a full workout in because there's something else I'd rather do instead.)  Anyway, I combined the two, and started doing abdominal contractions at stoplights.  I don't think it made the fat disappear, but it seriously made the abs tone up more and the pants fit more loosely!  Who knew it would really work that well? (Even though I tell my patients to do that all the time.)

The down side is, I'm breaking the bank with the shopping thing.  I'm not complaining, it's too much fun!  Besides, that would be off the charts obnoxious.

Okay, I'm done.  Except for one thing, though it flies in the face of everything I've talked about so far.

I don't mean to brag, but I make some wicked awesome lasagna.  

(Sorry, it's cooking right now and smells amazing!)


No comments:

Post a Comment