Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Other Passengers

Sadly, the idea of a holding pattern, along with some nostalgia about the fact that it has been 10 years since my graduation has led to a cheezy metaphor that you will now have to suffer through for the next several days.  Umm, assuming you keep reading!

I was going to wait to tell you about my friends.  I have a chronological sequence that I want to go through, but I can't wait to mention them.  The reason is that today is anniversary of sorts.  Four years ago today, I was one of three roommates living out in Colorado.  All of us were cradle Catholics, but I went to church by myself each week.  They did a lot of stuff together, but I often did my own thing.  I wasn't trying to be anti-social, but they wanted to go bar hopping in Denver and I wanted to go hiking in the mountains.  I don't always have to have my own way, but there is no possible way that I am giving up hiking so that I can hang around the bars.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I found a random journal entry at a time that I wrote journal entries very sporadically (years between entries).  In it, I was talking about how I was on the outside of this group of roomies, and that I didn't really have anyone that I was really close to.  That entry was dated 05/27/05. By January, God had answered my unspoken prayer for close friends.  He answered with an abundance that I still can't believe some days.

I really, really don't have the words to tell you what they mean to me.*  All I can say is that I am so grateful for them.  They were worth the wait.  I appreciate having so many Christian friends that were not Catholic and so many Catholic friends that were not particularly Christian and friends with no particular faith in anything.  Yet, those differences in our beliefs make me appreciate these friends even more. (Again, not that Catholics are better than anyone else, but because there was finally someone that understood where I was coming from.)

I wouldn't have come to know them so well if I hadn't been single.  In this case, the singleness thing was well worth it!

*I tried to put it in words once, before I had a blog.  A friend posted it here.

2 comments:

  1. we love you mon! i'm pretty sure "the beautiful face of Christ" made me cry....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still waiting for my true friends to come along. At the moment, I only have one friend who isn't part of my family, that I can actually call and talk to for no reason. I'd never really thought about praying that God would give me good friends! Thanks for sharing. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete