Friday, May 29, 2009

Layover

Yes, I'm still on this.  Check back later.  Some day there will be something else, I promise.  

Grad school was interesting, to say the least.  Mostly it was a matter of trying to survive.  I wanted to find someone, but not as much as one of my other roommates.  I was too busy trying not to flunk the group projects, keep track of my rats (research- I didn't have a choice) and spending too much time with my other roommate in our ongoing foosball competition to get too caught up in the state of my singleness.  I know I still wanted to get married, but that was about it.  I was kind of grateful that I wasn't trying to fit a man in around the rest of the insanity.  They were kind of lonely years in a way.  I had some great friends, but I missed the bubble of Christian friends from college.  Most of my friends didn't seem too concerned about God.

There were a number of people, including one of my roomies, that were Catholic, but didn't really go to church or try to follow God.  My former roomie is one of my favorite people, by the way, but though we both classified ourselves as Catholic, we didn't have a ton in common when it came to faith.

I guess if anything it confirmed for me that while I wanted a Catholic husband, I didn't want a husband that grew up with it, but it had very little meaning in his life.

I was also thankful that I wasn't married yet when it came time to go on internships.  I got one in Colorado.  I wouldn't have tried for it if I was leaving someone behind, but it was one of the best two and a half months of my life.  Can you get homesick for a place that you only lived in for a couple of months?  I love the mountains and I still miss them.  Especially this time of year when I could get back to hiking.  I think I belong in a world where you look at the mountains on your way home from work and you go hiking at least 3 out of every 4 weekends in the summer.  And I'm convinced that the only clouds in heaven are the ones hovering around the tops of the mountains there.

No comments:

Post a Comment