Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Day I Got My Butt Kicked by a Deck of Cards

I'm not going to lie.  I like to watch the Biggest Loser.  There's just something awesome about the way these people turn their lives around.  No shortcuts, just hard work.  There's also something great about sitting on my hind end and watching other people exercise.  Then I think, "I can get off my rear and work out, too."  Tomorrow.

Anyway, one week one of the trainers was giving a tip about how to work out when you're one the road and you can't get to the gym.  It goes something like this:

You take a deck of cards.

You assign each suit an exercise.

So,

Spades= push ups
Hearts= crunches
Clubs= squats
Diamonds= lunges.

One by one, you flip the cards and do the number of repetitions that's on the card.  Face cards are 11 reps and Aces are rests.

Here's my story.  I am not overweight.  Even the BMI calculator agrees with that.  I am a little soft around the edges.  My overall fitness level is probably not exactly what it should be.  But still, I figured I could do this workout, no problem.

Problem.

I did it, but it wasn't pretty.  I really wanted to stop about halfway through, but if you watch enough of the show, you end up with Jillian's voice in your head yelling, "WHAT is your problem? Keep GOING!"

Really?  Where's Bob when you need him: "Good job!  I knew you had it in you!  I knew you could do it!"

What I learned from this experience:

A) I watch too much TV.
B) I need to work out more often.
C) That I have wasted hundreds of dollars on gym memberships, and all the while my cards were collecting dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment