Saturday, April 25, 2009

Good weekend

It seems kind of redundant to say that it's a good weekend, but it really is.  I got off early yesterday and got to go for a long walk in the gorgeous weather.  It was especially nice since the weather is not so gorgeous today.  I tried to get a little color on my pasty white shoulders.  Normally, I really don't care and I'll have a farmer tan all the way, but I'm in a couple of weddings this summer.  Let's just say that the pale yellow of the dress and the pasty white of my skin are not very complimentary.

Then I got to go to Mass this morning.  Always amazing.  Sometimes it doesn't feel amazing.  Sometimes I just feel like I'm there.  Whether I feel anything or not, a day is inexplicably different if I have gotten to go to Mass.  Then I went to confession.  I know some people are horrified by the idea of having to confess their sins to a priest rather than telling God you're sorry.  I like confession.  A lot.  As they say, confession is good for the soul.  Today, it required me to stop and take stock of how I've really been doing.  Of course, I'm a sinner and I sin every day, but it's one thing to vaguely tell God that I'm sorry (others may not be vague when they confess their sins to God in privacy, but I am) and it's another thing to honestly look at my sins and pinpoint them so that I can give the priest specific points rather than vague generalizations.  As usual, the priest had some good ideas for some ways to correct some of my sinful habits.  The best part about auricular confession is hearing the priest speak out loud the words of absolution.  Love it.  Confession is good stuff.

Then I went for a walk/run.  Some walking, some running.  Don't know exactly how far I went, but it was long enough that it had to be at least 4 miles.  That always feels good.  Still does, even though I kind of offset the health benefits by not eating enough of the right stuff for lunch.  Unfortunately,  all I have in the house are hot pockets and chocolates.  Lunch tasted fine, but not the best for me.  Anyway, plans for the afternoon include a trip to the grocery store.  I might even get some fruits and vegetables!  Hope they don't rot before I get around to eating them...

I'm thinking movie night tonight, but I'm not sure what.  Maybe The Recruit, or Sahara.  Twister? U-571? Or perhaps a chick flick of some kind?  Hmm, they all sound good.  I guess I'll just have to see what I'm in the mood for.  If I can get groceries, do the laundry and clean up the apartment, I'll enjoy it even more.

Then tomorrow, there's good times with friends for a bridal shower.  I look forward to seeing friends, eating some amazing desserts (I'll probably need another couple hours of exercise after some of the stuff that will be there!), and hanging out.  Of all the wedding things that are a shot to my single heart, showers are not one of them.  It's just stuff.  For my part, I definitely did not get her something useful.  I thought it was really cool, but if she doesn't like it, it will be one of those awkward things that take up space; usually you don't want to keep it, but you feel really odd about throwing it out.  I really hope she likes it! Maybe I'll tell her if she doesn't like it, she can re-gift it to me someday.

Yep.  Good weekend.

1 comment: