Friday, April 10, 2009

Behold the Man

John 19 contains so many short things that require so much thought.

V. 5: "Behold the man."

Jesus had already been beaten, scourged and mocked.  The cross references in my Bible refer me to Isaiah 52:14: "...many were amazed at him- so marred was his look beyond that of a man, and his appearance beyond that of mortals".  This is the man we behold today, remembering.

V. 15 "The chief priests answered, 'We have no king but Ceasar.'"

What?  The priests of the proud Jewish people that have never accepted Roman rule?  These are the ones that are so desperate to be rid of Jesus that they will say what no Roman has ever heard them say before.  Then I realize when I sin, I say the same thing.

V. 28 "I thirst."

I love this verse because it has been pointed out that Jesus does not just thirst for water, but for our souls.  Though He prayed in the garden that the "cup would pass him by", because of His great love, He thirsted for more even after all He had suffered, if it would bring more souls to salvation.

Have a very blessed Good Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment